Saturday, October 28, 2006

A Ring and A Run!

My hubby was away all last week. The job he is in right now, as a Liaison/Exchange Officer with the German military engineers, requires him to go back to Canada twice a year for meetings and briefings at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ). Last week was one of those times. The nice thing is that NDHQ is in Ottawa, and my close family (parents, sister & brother-in-law & niece) are all in the Ottawa area.

I sent hubby with a list of things he had to pick up for me, that I haven't been able to find here in Germany, and he also brought me a surprise! He arrived home yesterday, and you can see the lovely diamond ring he brought back as a surprise below.

Then today we went for a run together. It's only my second run in the past two weeks. I ran a 20km race in Paris on October 15th, and took a few days off after the race to let my legs recover. Well, a was able to get one short run in before falling ill. I'm unfortunately the type of person who can't exercise when ill, otherwise I just make myself worse, and my illness lasts longer, even if it's just a head cold. So I ran once last Sunday, and then hadn't ran all week, while I was fighting a sore throat and sinus cold.

Fortunately, I'm starting to feel better, so hubby and I went for a short, easy run today. I have no idea how far we went, as I didn't care about distance. I just wanted to get out there, stretch the legs, get some fresh air, and start running again. We ran for 40 minutes. It was slow, my legs were heavy, and it took a lot out of me, but it's a start back. I have about 2 weeks to get back into the swing of things before we start training for a spring half- and full-marathon. We're looking at running the Frühjahrslauf München - a Munich half-marathon on April 1st and then the Vienna City Marathon on April 29th. Hopefully Munich will have a typical winter, and not another winter of record-breaking snows, so we can get our long runs in. But if we have a hard time getting our long runs in over the winter, we'll just run two halfs in the spring, instead of a half and a full.


Tags: ,

4 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

What beautiful ring and such a sweet thing for him to do!

Unknown said...

hey that's really cool! I need to read more of your blog to hear how you guys got to German. I so have the itch to get back to Europe and I'm determined to get my hubby to go too!

JOY said...

Awh how sweet of your husband!

The ring is beautiful.

Love the blog!

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a lovely ring. You're lucky to have such a thoughtful husband. I think that surprises like that add a litte excitement to a relationship.

Rach