So, as I promised last week, I'm going to answer some questions about Sphynx this week. My husband and I are owned by and adorable four-and-a-half month old, black and white Sphynx kitten called Dragonheart (or Drake for short). Drake's breeder names her litters after themes, and the theme for Dragonheart's litter was "fantasy", so he's Dragonheart and his brother's name is Merlin.
Are they High Strung Cats?
- They aren't high-strung, per se, but they are friendly, extremely inquisitive and love to be the center of attention.
- Sphynx get cold only if it is cold enough for a human to also be cold. If a human needs a sweater, chances are a Sphynx need one too, although they are also happy to find a warm human to curl up with (or another cat or even a dog if they are around).
- Sphynx also have a very high natural metabolism, higher than that of other cats. This higher metabolism helps them to stay warm.
- It's been very warm in Munich this fall, so Drake hasn't needed his sweater yet. We only put it on him to make sure it fit. There have only been a couple of nights where it dipped below freezing, and it's always been above freezing during the day. At night, Drake curls up next to us in bed, where it's nice and warm.
- Some people who suffer from cat allergies can tolerate living with Sphynx cats. However, depending on the type and severity of the individual's allergic reactions, there are still people who cannot live with this breed.
- My husband is allergic to cats, but fortunately he can tolerate Sphynx. Dragonheart doesn't bother his allergies at all.
- Sphynx love being pet. They love human attention, and enjoy being stroked. Dragonheart loves curling up in my lap and having me pet him. He feels like a warm chamois to pet.
- Sphynx do clean themselves with their tongues, like other cats do. However, because of the lack of hair that would normally absorb body oils, Sphynx need to be bathed periodically. Their self-bathing isn't sufficient to remove all the oil. Drake needs to be bathed about once a week to keep him healthy.